Saturday, August 09, 2008

4 months...

An email just popped up in inbox "Rakhi and Raksha Bandhan Gift Hampers to India". Well I thought I no longer need such a service, but that made me ponder on how things were while I was in US and how they have changed after I moved to India.

To start off, I had wonderful vacation and have joined SumTotalSystems in Hyderabad as Implementation Consultant. Got settled well and have got used to India and its living, traffic and inflation.

The move went very smoothly esp with help of friends and family. The biggest problem settling back was getting used to the new price tag for every commodity. Every commodity in India have almost doubled up. Living expenses in India have sky rocketed. My maid has quoted Rs.2000 for cleaning dishes and washing clothes! She makes more money than some white color jobs, I guess.

As I thought, the most I miss is people and friends and food. I am still getting used to the food options available outside. I definitely miss the continental, healthy foods and salads.

Many of my initiatives that I thought would continue even after moving back have short lived. The distance, time change, communication issues and not being in person in US have made me move out of all those initiatives.
That said, new things have started and I am finding myself busy enough to not add more to my plate.

No comments: