Friday, February 12, 2010

What SLR should I buy?

My friend asked me what would be a good SLR buy. Here is my quick review

I own Nikon 40D
and 18-55 and 55-200 and 50mm lenses.
I wish I had 18-300mm lens because most of our daily life nice photography can have good effects with it.


Before buying remember these
- SLR is bulky - so buy least size possible
- changing lenses to take nice shot - really tough - you will slowly adjust to use same lens
- so buy a camera where one lens can do most job
- Lenses are the key to the model you want to buy
- Real Canon/Nikon lenses can be expensive...there are other companies which provide lenses for Canon/Nikon camera..check them out too
- I prefer to buy SLR which has an affordable lens in range of 18-300 aperture
- Ex: Sigma 28-300 (one lens can help you take any kind of pic) 445$ or so http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3305&navigator=2


Best cameras
- Nikon 60D (Read reviews at http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/index.htm)
- Canon Rebel XTI (reviews at http://www.dpreview.com/)


bottom line...do bit of research..my knowledge is based on technology of 4 yrs old...things have changed..prices have changed...

8 comments:

superaghu said...

Costed me 750$ for body + 18-55mm + 55-200mm

Harish said...

Thanks for the helpful hints mama. After reading through the reviews, I am actually interested in the Canon Rebel Xs and Xsi models . I am thinking between them, leaning more towards the Xsi. Like you said the Canon XTi is an older model and these are its successors with descent ratings/improvements.



Your tips on lenses are eye opening. All the cameras come with the standard 18-55mm lens. The only unpleasant thing with Canon is that the camera is not internally image stabilized but relies on lens based IS. This makes canon lens lot more expensive. Another helpful point you made about 3rd party vendors like Sigma, Tamron make good quality lens (18-200 or 28-300) around $500 (may be for a later point in time with next year's bonus check if I get any :-)



My main intention of looking for an SLR is for short range shooting esp taking pictures of my little one. So 18-55mm should be ok for that purpose right? I have seen the pictures you took with your camera are of 10 times superior quality than any odinary point and shoot types. Also SLRs time to take a snap is very small and with kids you only get a second or 2. I missed too many of them with my present camera.



I will let you now once I make the purchase.

Shivakundan said...

nice thoughts on lenses...I will have to rethink about buying DSLR then.

Harish said...

Finally purchased Canon Xsi with the kit lens. I am impressed with the quality of the photographs. Once I start shooting out doors may be later, I will look for telescopic lens like a 15-200mm.

Kundan said...

don,

i am planning to buy a dslr camera. I kindaa like this one -

Canon EOS Rebel T1i

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613613-REG/Canon_3818B002_EOS_Rebel_T1i_500D_.html#specifications

Let me know ur thoughts. Its little costlier but i need video too in my camera.

-Kundan

superaghu said...

The latest improvement in the SLR camera's is Video. I have not tested SLR's with Video but seems there are several of them now in market

Canon EOS Rebel T1i (500D)
&
Nikon 90 D are leading

SLR is mainly for photography and video has been added recently by a work around. SLR's are not true video shooters(they cannot auto focus!), they just keep capturing the pictures and stream as video. Nevertheless it is a strong tool to have with your camera for multipurpose necessities.

superaghu said...

I checked the review of Canon T1I (EOS 500D) and I kinda liked it.

The video is not great but I checked few youtube video's and they were not bad.
I know auto focus is tough in video mode esp. for moving objects, but for casual photographer+videographer it is not bad at all.

I think who ever plans to buy SLR's should consider having video option.

I recommend it

Kundan said...

Thanks Don. I bought the camera with whole kit for $920 (incl. tax) from Costco. It's little too much but its good to have for long run.

Here is wat I have in the kit -

Canon EOS Rebel T1i (500D) camera + EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens
Rebel Gadget Bag
4GB SDHC Memory Card
Mini-HDMI cable
Tutorial DVD